This online course will help you develop, deliver and evaluate the impact of arts and culture on health and wellbeing.
The course aims to:
- Describe and define health and wellbeing provision within art and culture, including social prescribing
- Demonstrate how this work fits into new thinking within the health sector
- Use best practice examples to inspire new work and ensure provision is sustainable and suitable for your organisation and community
- Demonstrate how evaluation can be utilised successfully in order to pilot and improve your provision
- Establish how health and wellbeing work can be embedded at an organisational level
- provide practical step-by-step advice on how to get started or how to reframe existing work
Throughout the course you'll be encouraged to reflect on what you have learnt and how you can apply this in your organisation.
This course was created by the Culture, Health and Wellbeing Alliance (formerly the National Alliance for Museums, Health & Wellbeing and the National Alliance for Arts, Health & Wellbeing) and can be accessed here.
Course content and structure
The course is entirely online and you can study at your own pace.
It has six modules:
- An introduction to health and wellbeing
- Partnership and co-creation
- Types of audiences and activities
- Measuring impact
- Organisational change
- Next steps
Each module is divided into a number of sections on key themes. For each section you'll read a brief explanation and learn about a relevant case study, in the form as a short film, pdf or report.
You'll also be asked to reflect on your learning using your own experience and practice. These exercises won't be marked or assessed, but will help you to take your own work forward.
Who the course is for
The course is aimed at professionals working in arts/culture and health/wellbeing.
It will be useful for those who haven't yet undertaken work in this area, or those who are already doing so but would like support in certain aspects of their provision.
By the end of this course you'll:
- Understand what health and wellbeing is as a general concept, the health sector and how it works to Enable joint working, and how to embed wellbeing within your activity or organisation
- Be able to undertake health and wellbeing work, such as partnership working, co-creation with audiences, measuring impact, safeguarding and influencing senior staff
- Have the confidence to start and sustainably deliver health and wellbeing programmes
- Be inspired by good practice examples of health and wellbeing programmes and activities
- Be able to change people’s perception of what health and wellbeing provision looks like, in order to influence organisational change